Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed to continue Ankara’s operation in Idlib, Syria, after at least four Turkish soldiers were killed during “intensive shelling” by Syrian government troops.
At least 13 Syrian government soldiers were reportedly killed by Turkish shelling in Idlib region, Syria, on Monday, in an attack that came in “retaliation” for an earlier strike by Syrian troops that killed eight Turkish soldiers, according to the Britain-based war monitor Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The clash marks a rare confrontation between Syrian forces and Turkish troops based in the northwestern region of Syria.
The war monitor said the Turkish attack — south of the flash point town of Saraqeb — seriously wounded another 20 regime fighters.
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said Turkish forces had hit 54 targets in Idlib, and had killed 76 Syrian troops, according to state-run Anadolu news agency.
Erdogan: Offensive to continue
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had earlier vowed that his country’s military operation in Syria’s Idlib region would continue after the death of Turkish soldiers.
“We have responded in kind to these attacks and will continue to do so, whether it is with our artillery or mortars,” he told reporters in Istanbul.
“We are determined to continue our operations for the security of our country, people and our brothers in Idlib.”